What should I do if I don’t understand one of my mortgage closing documents?

If you don't understand a closing document, ask your lender about it right away.

If you have an attorney, you should also ask your attorney. If you don’t have an attorney, ask your settlement agent.

You can also explore the CFPB’s interactive guide to the Closing Disclosure.   

For other key closing documents, including the Promissory Note, Deed of Trust, Initial Escrow disclosure, and Notice of the Right to Rescind (for refinances), check out the CFPB’s guide to closing forms.

You can also look for additional information on Ask CFPB.

Was this page helpful to you?

Note: Do not include sensitive information like your name, contact information, account number, or social security number in this field.

The content on this page provides general consumer information. It is not legal advice or regulatory guidance. The CFPB updates this information periodically. This information may include links or references to third-party resources or content. We do not endorse the third-party or guarantee the accuracy of this third-party information. There may be other resources that also serve your needs.

Read full answer Hide full answer