Skip to main content

Information for industry whistleblowers

If someone at your company, or another company, is doing something you think may be illegal, it can be hard to figure out what to do. The CFPB provides a way for you to let us know about possible improper activity.

You can alert us to potential violations of federal consumer financial laws. We accept whistleblower tips from current or former employees of a company that may have violated federal consumer financial laws, as well as from industry insiders who know about such a company. You can even tell us information over the phone without giving your name, if that’s important to you.

You can report violations of any of the following:

  • Title X of the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act (CFPA)
  • Any other provision of law subject to CFPB jurisdiction
  • Any rule, order, standard, or prohibition prescribed by the CFPB

(855) 695-7974



Consumer Financial Protection Bureau
ATTN: Office of Enforcement, WB
1700 G Street, NW
Washington, D.C. 20552

Things to know about submitting a whistleblower tip

  • You are not required to share any personally identifiable information (PII), but providing PII such as your name, job title, and contact information will help us in any investigation of the issue you report.
  • We can't accept privileged information, including confidential communications between the company's attorneys and the company, or written materials prepared by attorneys in anticipation of litigation. The company includes its officers, directors, employees, shareholders, or other constituents.
  • All tips are reviewed by our attorneys. We can't open investigations into all information provided to us and we are also unable to provide information such as the existence or status of an investigation. If we have questions about the information you've provided, we'll contact you using PII that you provide us.

Whistleblower protection

Your employer cannot retaliate against you for reporting to your employer or to a federal, state, or local government authority or law enforcement agency certain illegal conduct.

Information about the tip submission, including PII you choose to provide, may be shared with other federal and state regulators as authorized and pursuant to the CFPB’s published Privacy Act System of Records Notice CFPB.004 Enforcement Database. This collection of tip information is authorized by Public Law 111-203, title X, sections 1011, 1012, 1021 codified at 12 U.S.C. 5491, 5492, 5511.

If you reasonably believe the illegal conduct violates any provision of Title X of the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act (CFPA) and you report it, you have certain rights. You can also report violations of any other provision of law that is subject to the jurisdiction of the CFPB, or any rule, order, standard, or prohibition prescribed by the CFPB.

Learn more about your rights from the U.S. Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA).

You can file a complaint with OSHA if you think you have been fired or retaliated against for reporting any violations described above.

(800) 321-OSHA (6742)