Helping others rebuild
Giving financial support to family and friends
Gifts, loans, and in-kind support can help loved ones make ends meet in an emergency. Family and friends may exchange funds directly (for example, providing cash) or indirectly (for example, co-signing a loan). But without clear communication, these arrangements could put a strain on your relationships. It’s important to have a frank conversation and come up with an arrangement that works for everyone involved.
Sending money safely through mobile apps
Mobile payment services and apps let you send money to people without having to write a check, swipe a card, or hand them cash. When sending money through your mobile device, keep these tips in mind to make sure your money goes where you want it to.
- Start with a request for payment – If you’re sending money to someone for the first time, ask that they send a "request" from their app if possible. Alternatively, consider sending a small test payment to the recipient to confirm it’s the right person before sending larger amounts.
- Double-check before you press send – Always double-check the amount you entered and the person you selected to pay. Ask your recipient to be sure information you intend to use to send them money matches the information they registered in the app.
- Know how quickly money comes out of your account – Most payments are deducted from your balance immediately. But depending on the mobile app and who you’re sending money to, the recipient might not be able to use the money immediately. Find out how soon transferred money becomes available for each app you use, and decide if that timing works for you.
- Always use caution when sending money to someone you don’t know
- Protect your mobile device – Most mobile payment apps allow you to set up a passcode, PIN, or fingerprint to authenticate yourself before making a payment. If your mobile phone is lost or stolen, notify your bank or payment provider.
- Contact your bank or payment provider if you suspect an error – If an erroneous transaction appears on your statement, notify your financial institution right away.
Sending money abroad
Many businesses that send money to other countries for consumers must follow federal consumer protection law, as well as some states’ laws.