Skip to main content

My lender or servicer advised me to stop making payments on my mortgage loan so I could qualify for a loan modification. What can I do?

You should not trust anyone giving you this advice. 

If you are having trouble making your mortgage loan payments, call the CFPB at (855) 411-CFPB (2372) to be connected with a U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD)-approved housing counselor who can help you explore your options.

Tip: Use our checklist for more information on how to avoid foreclosure.

Report companies giving you this advice by submitting a complaint with the CFPB online or by calling (855) 411-CFPB (2372).