Skip to main content

My financial situation is going to improve soon. Can I get temporary help with my mortgage loan?

If you have recently lost your job, your income is temporarily reduced, or your monthly expenses have temporarily gone up, your servicer may grant you a short-term reduction or suspension of your mortgage loan payments.

You should make sure this is the right option for you. Don’t sign anything until you’re sure you understand it. Foreclosure prevention counseling is available free of charge through the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD)'s Housing Counseling Program. Call the CFPB at (855) 411-CFPB (2372) to be connected to a HUD-approved housing counselor today.

If you are facing imminent foreclosure or have been served with legal papers, you may also need to consult an attorney. If you need help finding an attorney, you can view this list of legal aid services in your state, or you can find lawyer referrals in your county and state by visiting the American Bar Association website .

Was this answer helpful to you?

Please do not share any personally identifiable information (PII), including, but not limited to: your name, address, phone number, email address, Social Security number, account information, or any other information of a sensitive nature.