Skip to main content

I disagree with my mortgage servicer about the amount it says that I owe. What can I do?

If you disagree with your mortgage servicer about how much you owe, you can either call or send a notice of error letter to your servicer.

If you send a notice of error letter , your servicer has to respond to you within a certain time and give you other protections.

If you submit a letter, remember:

  • Include your name, home address, and mortgage account number. Use the name that is on your mortgage.
  • Identify the error. Tell your servicer exactly what error you believe occurred.
  • Don’t write your letter on your payment coupon or other payment form you get from your mortgage servicer.
  • Make sure you mail the letter to the right address. A mortgage servicer may use a special address for borrowers to send requests to correct errors. You can find this address on your monthly mortgage statement or coupon book, on the servicer’s website, or by calling your servicer. If your servicer uses a special address, you must send the letter to that address.

While you’re waiting for a response, you should continue making your mortgage payments as scheduled.

If you have a problem with your mortgage, you can submit a complaint with the CFPB online or by calling (855) 411-CFPB (2372).