Skip to main content

How should I handle charges on my monthly credit card statement for services I did not sign up for?

If you find unfamiliar charges on your credit card statement for optional services sold by or through the card company, here’s what you should do:

  • Call your credit card company using the phone number on the back of your card to try to resolve the problem. Tell the card company if you did not authorize the charge and ask for a full refund. You are not required to buy optional services from your credit card company. You should also file a written billing error notice with the card company. 
  • Ask for proof of enrollment if the credit card company claims you voluntarily signed up for the product. Cancel the service at that time.
  • You can also file a complaint with the CFPB.

If you find unfamiliar charges for services sold through a different company, call your card company and dispute the charge. You should also file a written billing error notice  with the card company. 

Was this answer helpful to you?

Please do not share any personally identifiable information (PII), including, but not limited to: your name, address, phone number, email address, Social Security number, account information, or any other information of a sensitive nature.