Skip to main content

How can I get a refund on a product or service I purchased with my credit card?

First, reach out to the company that sold the product or service to you. Explain the issue. Maybe the product you received was defective or you didn’t receive what you ordered. Ask the company if it will reverse the charge.

If you’re not satisfied with the merchant’s response, you may be able to dispute the charge with your credit card company and have the charge reversed. This is sometimes called a chargeback. Contact your credit card company to see whether you can dispute a charge.

Note: You may be able to assert a billing error to the credit card company, for example, if you did not receive what you ordered. 

Regardless of whether you can assert a billing error, you also may have other rights against the card issuer, for example, if the goods or services you accepted turn out to be defective. If you’ve only paid part of a bill for a service or product purchased with the card, you may have the right not to pay the remaining amount that is due. To be considered for this, all of the following generally must be true:

  • You must have first tried in good faith to resolve the issue with the merchant who sold you the product or service.
  • You must have made your purchase in your home state or within 100 miles of your home address.
  • The price of the service or product must have been more than $50.
  • You must have used your credit card to pay for the purchase.
  • You must not yet have fully paid for the product or service.