Skip to main content

Can my mortgage servicer report negative information about me to a credit-reporting agency after I have sent an error dispute or information request?

It depends. If your notice of error is in regards to a payment, your servicer can’t provide negative information about that payment to any consumer reporting agency or credit bureau for the 60 days after it receives your notice of error.

If you send an information request, or if your notice of error is about something other than your payments, the servicer CAN report negative information about your account to a consumer reporting agency or credit bureau.

Learn more about requesting information from or disputing an error with your mortgage servicer.

If you have a problem with your mortgage, you can submit a complaint with the CFPB online or by calling (855) 411-CFPB (2372).