Skip to main content

Help for homeowners

If you've had trouble making mortgage payments, we have information to help.

How you're protected

You may still have mortgage relief options through your mortgage loan servicer or from your state, even if your loan is not backed by Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, or the federal government.

If you have a reverse mortgage, learn more about reverse mortgage protections.

If you currently are or have been a member of the military, learn more about protections for servicemembers and veterans.

Get expert help

Talk to a housing counselor

For help talking to your mortgage servicer or understanding your options, contact a HUD-approved housing counseling agency in your area. Housing counselors can develop a tailored plan of action and help you work with your mortgage company, at no cost to you.

Talk to a lawyer

If you need a lawyer, there may be resources to assist you, and you may qualify for free legal services through legal aid. If you’re a servicemember, you should consult with your local Legal Assistance Office .

Submit a complaint

If you have a problem with your mortgage, tell us about your issue—we'll forward it to the company and work to get you a response, generally within 15 days.