Skip to main content

Housing Insecurity

If you're concerned about how to pay your mortgage or rent, we have information on what you can do now, and what your options are for mortgage and rental relief.

Find help for your situation

Help for homeowners

Learn about options to help your situation, like repaying missed payments, avoiding foreclosure, and understanding your reverse mortgage options.

See your next steps

Help for renters

Federal, state, and local governments are offering relief. See options to avoid eviction, get rental assistance, and understand your rights.

Get the help you're entitled to

Apply for money to cover rent and utilities

Help if you’ve lost housing

If you’ve lost your housing through foreclosure or eviction, you’re not alone. Find help to make a smooth transition to a new home and get a grasp on the other parts of your money situation.

See how to get started

Where to get additional help

If you need help working with your mortgage servicer or understanding your options, you may want to reach out to a professional to help you with your specific situation.

Remember: legitimate resources will not charge an up-front fee for their services.

Housing counselors

U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD)-certified housing counselors  can discuss options with you if you're having trouble paying your mortgage or managing your reverse mortgage.

Need help with the basics?

Learn how to read your monthly mortgage statement or understand key mortgage terms, like mortgage forbearance.


If you need a lawyer, there may be resources to assist you through your local bar association or legal aid. If you are a servicemember, contact your local Legal Assistance Office .

Credit counselors

Reputable credit counseling organizations are generally non-profit organizations that can advise you on your money and debts, and help you with a budget. Some may also help you negotiate with creditors.

Avoiding scams and bad actors

Beware of scams

See more information on scams and fraud

Learn what steps you can take if you believe you’ve been a victim of a foreclosure scam

Submit a complaint

If you have a problem with a consumer financial product or service, you can try reaching out to the company first. Companies can usually answer questions unique to your situation and more specific to the products and services they offer. We can also help you connect with the company if you have a complaint. You can submit to the CFPB online or by calling (855) 411-2372.

For homeowners: Start a complaint about your mortgage servicer

For renters: Start a complaint about a landlord or debt collector using unfair or deceptive practices

Housing discrimination

Federal laws prohibit housing discrimination. The protections they offer differ somewhat depending on whether you own or rent your home.

If you own your home, lenders and servicers may not discriminate against you for mortgage servicing practices – such as forbearance and loan modifications – based on your race, color, religion, national origin, sex (including sexual orientation and gender identity), marital status, age, family status (pregnancy or families with children), disability, whether you are receiving money from a public assistance program, or whether you are exercising your rights under certain consumer protection and fair housing laws. If you believe a lender or mortgage servicer has discriminated against you, you generally can submit a complaint  with the CFPB or file a fair housing complaint with HUD . More information on fair lending and protections against discrimination can be found on the CFPB’s  and HUD’s websites.

If you are renting a home or apartment, your landlord cannot

  • Sexually harass you
  • Refuse to rent to you
  • Evict you, or
  • Change or set different rules for your rental agreement

because of your race, color, national origin (country of origin or ancestry), religion, sex (including sexual orientation and gender identity), family status (pregnancy and families with children), or disability.

If you or your landlord receive federal financial assistance for housing, you are also protected from housing discrimination based on age.

Learn about your fair housing rights when you are facing eviction . If you believe your rights have been violated you can file a fair housing complaint with HUD .