Skip to main content

How to work with your mortgage servicer

Call your mortgage servicer as soon as you know you can’t make your monthly payment. Or, if they have tried to reach you, make sure to accept calls from your mortgage servicer. The phone number is on your monthly bill.

Look up who services your mortgage

Your mortgage servicer is the company that you send your mortgage payments to each month. This is the company you need to contact about your mortgage assistance options.

If you don’t know or can’t remember who currently services your mortgage, there are several ways to find out, including looking at your mortgage statement for contact information.

Find out who owns or services your mortgage

See if your mortgage is backed by Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, or the federal government

Many homeowners are eligible for mortgage assistance . This applies if your mortgage is backed by HUD/FHA, USDA, VA, or Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac. Most homeowners have mortgages that qualify for assistance. If your loan is not backed by Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, or the federal government you might still be eligible for similar assistance.

If you don’t know who insures or backs your mortgage, you can call your servicer or see the link above. The servicer must provide you the name, address, and telephone number of who owns, insures, or backs your loan. Your mortgage documents and note also tell you.

Find more information about your type of loan

Use the links below to locate more information for your type of loan and ways to look up your own loan.

Use the links to be directed to more information for your type of loan and ways to look up your own loan.

If you have a mortgage loan that is not backed by one of the federal agencies or entities listed above, contact your mortgage servicer to see what options are available to you. You can find your servicer’s name on your mortgage statement or by searching the Mortgage Electronic Registration Systems (MERS) website.

Your servicer should help you identify alternatives that may be available to you given your specific circumstances.

How to start the conversation

Ask to speak to a specialist at your servicer about options for mortgage assistance.

Tell the person why you can’t make your monthly payment

For example, you might say “Recently, I lost my job” or “My spouse is having health problems and the costs to treat this problem have been higher than we expected.” You might have a dollar amount in mind that would make your payments more affordable, so in that case you could say “I can commit to paying a smaller amount every month.” Or, depending on your situation, you could say “I am looking for a way to pause my payments until my money situation improves again.”

Once you have explained the situation, ask about your options

Here is one way to start the conversation: “This is a big decision and I want to get it right. Can you tell me what options I have to stay in my home?” Or, if your situation is different, “Can you tell me what options I have, if I am ready to leave my home?”

Keep asking questions until you understand what’s next. Here are some questions you can ask:

  • What options are available to help temporarily reduce or suspend my payments?
  • When will you waive the late fees on my mortgage account?
  • Do you charge interest on my unpaid mortgage payments during forbearance?
  • What are my rights if you don’t grant me forbearance, and I disagree with your decision?
  • What should I do at the end of my forbearance period? When should I contact or expect to hear from my servicer before my forbearance ends?
  • What are my payment options when forbearance ends?
  • If your loan is not federally backed or insured, or is not backed by Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac, ask: What restrictions and requirements apply at the end of the forbearance period?

Get expert help

Talk to a housing counselor

For help talking to your mortgage servicer or understanding your options, contact a HUD-approved housing counseling agency in your area. Housing counselors can develop a tailored plan of action and help you work with your mortgage company, at no cost to you.

Talk to a lawyer

If you need a lawyer, there may be resources to assist you, and you may qualify for free legal services through legal aid. If you’re a servicemember, you should consult with your local Legal Assistance Office .

Submit a complaint

If you have a problem with your mortgage, tell us about your issue—we'll forward it to the company and work to get you a response, generally within 15 days