Skip to main content

Repay your forbearance

Español | 繁體中文 | 简体中文 | Tiếng Việt | 한국어 | Tagalog | اَلْعَرَبِيَّةُ

Before your mortgage forbearance period ends, make arrangements with your servicer to repay any amount suspended or paused.

Homeowners who receive a COVID hardship forbearance are not required to repay their skipped payments in a lump sum once the forbearance period ends.

Consider your situation when planning to repay missed payments

Generally, there are a few ways borrowers can make up their missed payments. However, the method of repayment can vary depending on your loan. Not all borrowers will be eligible for all options. Ask your servicer about what options are available to you. If you need more time, you can request an extension.


This option may be right for you if you…

How it works

Repayment plan

… can afford to pay more than your regular mortgage payment for a few months.

A portion of the amount you owe will be added to the amount you pay each month.

Deferral or partial claim

…can resume your regular payments but can't afford to increase your payments.

These options will either move your missed payments to the end of your loan or put them into a subordinate lien repayable only when you refinance, sell, or terminate your mortgage.


…can no longer afford to make your regular mortgage payment.

Your payment can be reduced to an affordable amount and your missed payments will be added to the amount you owe. Your monthly payments could also be lower, but it could take longer to pay off your loan.

Reinstatement (lump sum)

…want to pay back all of your missed payments at once.

For most loans, servicers cannot require you to pay a lump sum. So, if you only hear about a lump-sum repayment, ask about other options.

Repayment options vary by agency

Just as mortgage forbearance may differ between the federal agencies, Fannie Mae, or Freddie Mac, so does the repayment of the amounts that were suspended during the forbearance. The following information provides some of the specific repayment options offered by each agency.

Homeowners with mortgages owned or guaranteed by Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac may be eligible for different repayment options following your forbearance. Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac do not require a lump sum payment at the end of the forbearance

  • If you are unable to repay your missed payments all at once and can afford to pay a higher monthly mortgage payment for a period of time, you may be eligible for a repayment plan, which allows you to repay past due amounts over a period of time.
  • If you can afford to resume your regular monthly mortgage payment you may be eligible for a payment deferral , which puts your missed mortgage payments into a payment due at the sale or refinancing of your home, or at the end of the loan.
  • If you have a sustained reduction in income and are unable to afford your regular monthly mortgage payment, you may be eligible for a loan modification which changes the terms of your loan to enable an affordable payment.

Servicers will reach out to you about 30 days before your forbearance plan is scheduled to end to determine which assistance program is best for you at that time. Work with your servicer to determine which option you are eligible for.

FHA does not require lump sum repayment at the end of the forbearance. Homeowners on special COVID-19 Forbearance will be assessed by their servicer first for eligibility for FHA’s COVID-19 Standalone Partial Claim home retention option no later than at the end of the forbearance period.

The COVID-19 Standalone Partial Claim places amounts you owe into a subordinate lien that is repaid only when you refinance your mortgage, sell your home, or your mortgage otherwise terminates. This lien does not accrue interest. If you do not qualify for the COVID-19 Standalone Partial Claim, servicers of FHA-insured mortgages offer other solutions to help you repay the missed payments over time if you don’t qualify for the COVID-19 Standalone Partial Claim.

For more information on Federal Housing Administration Mortgages:, call 1-800-CALL-FHA (1-800-225-5342), or view HUD’s information for homeowners .

USDA Rural Housing Service does not require a lump sum payment at the end of the forbearance.

If you can resume making regular payments your servicer or lender should either offer an affordable repayment plan or term extension to defer any missed payments to the end of the loan. If you are unable to resume making regular payments, your servicer or lender should evaluate you for all available loss mitigation options.

Upon completion of the forbearance, the lender shall communicate with the borrower and determine if the borrower is able to resume making regular contractual payments. If so, the lender shall offer the borrower a written re-payment plan to resolve any amount due or, at the borrower’s request, extend the loan term for a period that is at least the length of the forbearance.

Visit USDA Rural Development’s coronavirus website for more information on forbearance for USDA guaranteed loans.

Servicers of VA loans cannot require borrowers to make a lump sum payment immediately after a borrower exits a CARES Act forbearance.

VA has a suite of loss mitigation options such as repayment plans and loan modification to assist borrowers in repaying payments missed under a CARES Act forbearance. In addition, VA is continuing to evaluate other options to further assist borrowers affected by the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) national emergency.

Native American Direct Loans (NADL) are managed by BSI Financial Services. NADL borrowers can request a forbearance plan by contacting the BSI default resolution team at 800-327-7861 or

For additional information, please visit VA’s website , where you can find a list of frequently asked CARES Act questions . In addition, you may call (877) 827-3702 to contact a VA Regional Loan Center.

Check with your loan servicer for the forbearance repayment options that they offer. You may be able to find information about forbearance programs by checking the websites of your lender and servicer for more detailed information. Be sure to inquire about what limitations, options, and fees may apply to repayment of your loan due to the fact that it is not federally backed.

Get expert help

Talk to a housing counselor

For help talking to your mortgage servicer or understanding your options, contact a HUD-approved housing counseling agency in your area. Housing counselors can develop a tailored plan of action and help you work with your mortgage company, at no cost to you.

Talk to a lawyer

If you need a lawyer, there may be resources to assist you, and you may qualify for free legal services through legal aid. If you’re a servicemember, you should consult with your local Legal Assistance Office.

Submit a complaint

If you have a complaint with your mortgage or forbearance plan, tell us about your issue—we'll forward it to the company and work to get you a response, generally within 15 days.