Skip to main content

Protections for renters

If you’re having trouble making rent payments or facing eviction as a result of the coronavirus pandemic, you are not alone. Learn what you can do and find out about new protections for renters.

If you are renting from an owner who has a federally insured or Government Sponsored Entity (GSE)-backed mortgage, live in federally subsidized housing or get a federally subsidized grant or voucher, you cannot be evicted for nonpayment of rent between March 27 and July 24, 2020 due to the CARES Act.

Many state and local governments have also paused evictions because of the impact of the coronavirus pandemic. Find out whether you are in one of these areas .

Under the CARES Act, additional restrictions may apply for a property with a federally or GSE-backed mortgage. Landlords who receive forbearance relief under the CARES Act cannot evict their tenant(s) or charge late payment fees or penalties while they are receiving forbearance relief. After their forbearance ends, they must give you a 30-day notice to vacate and let the notice expire before making you leave.

What this means for you

Even if the CARES Act eviction moratorium applies to you, rent payments are still due on the usual date. So, if you can pay your rent, you should continue to do so to avoid the potential of future eviction.

If you have had a decrease in income or change in circumstances that will make it difficult to pay your rent on time, contact your landlord right away.

If you live in federally-subsidized housing and your income has fallen, contact your housing authority to talk about income recertification. If you rent from a private company or landlord, a payment agreement may help you avoid eviction once the moratorium is over.

Find out if your housing is covered by the CARES Act

The best way to find out if these protections apply to you is to ask your housing authority, landlord or management company.

You can also check these resources:

If your apartment or rental unit is in a building with 5 or more units:

If you are renting in a property with four or fewer units

Your landlord can also check with Freddie Mac , Fannie Mae , VA , or USDA to find out if their property is covered.

Having issues with your landlord?

Housing discrimination

Federal law prohibits housing discrimination based on your race, color, national origin, religion, sex, family status, or disability. If you have been trying to buy or rent a home or apartment and you believe your rights have been violated, you can file a fair housing complaint with HUD.

Landlord complaints in federal housing

Hundreds of landlords have been fined and/or debarred from doing business with the federal government as a result of failing to provide safe and decent housing for the poor, while enriching themselves on taxpayer-funded subsidies.