What are some classic warning signs of possible fraud and scams?
There are several signs that indicate you might be dealing with a scammer.
They include contact from someone:
- Calling or emailing you, claiming to be from the government and asking you to pay money.
- Asking you to pay money or taxes upfront to receive a prize or a gift.
- Asking you to wire them money, send money by courier, or put money on a prepaid card or gift card and send it to them.
- Asking for access to your moneysuch as your ATM cards, bank accounts, credit cards, or investment accounts.
- Pressuring you to act now or else the deal will go away. Or someone who seems to be trying hard to give you a great deal without time to answer your questions.
To report a scam, you can with the Federal Trade Commission. You can also contact your local police or sheriffs office or your state attorney generals office to report the scam. Visit the for the contact information of each state attorney general.