Skip to main content

Find your servicer to see what you qualify for

Your mortgage relief options depend on who owns or backs your mortgage, the programs they offer, and the eligibility criteria they set. Follow these steps to find out what you may qualify for.

1. Figure out who services your mortgage

Your mortgage servicer is the company that you send your mortgage payments to each month. This is who you need to contact about your mortgage relief options.

If you don’t know or can’t remember who currently services your mortgage, there are several ways to find out, including looking at your mortgage statement for contact information.

Find out who owns or services your mortgage

2. See if your mortgage is backed by Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, or the federal government

Most homeowners are eligible for COVID hardship forbearance and are protected by the temporary halt in foreclosures. This applies if your mortgage is backed by HUD/FHA, USDA, VA, or Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac. Most homeowners have mortgages that qualify. Servicers may offer similar forbearance options for those loans not backed by Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, or the federal government.

If you don’t know who insures or backs your mortgage, you can call your servicer or see the link above. The servicer must provide you the name, address, and telephone number of who owns, insures, or backs your loan. Your mortgage documents and note may also tell you.

Find more information about your type of loan

These links will redirect you to more information for your type of loan, as well as available “loan look up” information.

These links will redirect you to more information for your type of loan, as well as available “loan look up” information.

If you have a mortgage loan that is not backed by one of the federal agencies or entities listed here, contact your loan servicer to see what options are available to you. You can find your servicer’s name on your mortgage statement or by searching the Mortgage Electronic Registration Systems (MERS) website.

The CFPB and other financial regulators have encouraged financial institutions to work with borrowers who are or may be unable to meet their obligations because of the effects of COVID-19.

Your servicer should help you identify alternatives that may be available to you given your specific circumstances.

3. See if your state offers additional mortgage relief options

Many states are implementing or considering various mortgage relief options, including the suspension of foreclosures. Check your state’s government website for details .

What to do next

Contact your servicer and request forbearance.

Get expert help

Talk to a housing counselor

For help talking to your mortgage servicer or understanding your options, contact a HUD-approved housing counseling agency in your area. Housing counselors can develop a tailored plan of action and help you work with your mortgage company, at no cost to you.

Talk to a lawyer

If you need a lawyer, there may be resources to assist you, and you may qualify for free legal services through legal aid. If you’re a servicemember, you should consult with your local Legal Assistance Office .

Submit a complaint

If you have a complaint with your mortgage or forbearance plan, tell us about your issue—we'll forward it to the company and work to get you a response, generally within 15 days.