Skip to main content

What should I do if I have a reverse mortgage and I received a notice that I am “delinquent,” “in default,” or behind on my property taxes and insurance?

Act quickly. If you delay, or ignore the notice, you could eventually be forced to leave your home.

Keeping current on your property taxes and homeowners insurance is a condition of your reverse mortgage. If you get behind, you are considered “in default” on your reverse mortgage. Default means that you are not meeting the requirements you agreed to when you took out the loan. Unless you take steps to “cure,” or fix, your default, your loan could get foreclosed on and you could be evicted.

If you can afford to pay your taxes or insurance, do it right away. Find out where to send your payment. You may need to submit your payment to your reverse mortgage company or directly to the tax authority or insurance company.

Call your reverse mortgage company to find out where you should make a payment. If you have a problem, you can submit a complaint with the CFPB online or by calling (855) 411-CFPB (2372).

If you can’t afford to pay your taxes and/or insurance, you should see a reverse mortgage foreclosure prevention counselor. This special type of counseling is free. It could help you make the best choice for you.

Take the next step

Submit a complaint

We’ll forward your issue to the company, give you a tracking number, and keep you updated on the status of your complaint.

Submit a complaint

Was this answer helpful to you?

Please do not share any personally identifiable information (PII), including, but not limited to: your name, address, phone number, email address, Social Security number, account information, or any other information of a sensitive nature.