Skip to main content

What should I do if I have a reverse mortgage loan and I can’t pay my property taxes or homeowners insurance?

If you can’t pay your property taxes or homeowners insurance, look for help right away. Home Equity Conversion Mortgages (HECMs), the most common type of reverse mortgage loan, require that you keep current on your property taxes and homeowners insurance. Failure to pay either may lead to foreclosure.

If you are struggling to afford your taxes and homeowners insurance, here are some things you can do:

  1. There might be state and local programs that can help you keep your home. Area Agencies on Aging (AAA) generally have information about these programs. To find the nearest Area Agency on Aging call (800) 677-1116 or visit the eldercare website
  2. A reverse mortgage housing counselor can also help you find the best option for your situation. If you can’t afford to pay your taxes and/or insurance, you should see a reverse mortgage housing counselor right away. 

To learn more about what to do if you’re already behind on your tax or insurance payments.