Skip to main content

Help for homeowners and renters during the coronavirus national emergency

Español | 繁體中文 | 简体中文 | Tiếng Việt | 한국어 | Tagalog | اَلْعَرَبِيَّةُ

Get mortgage help if you're struggling

Take action if you're in forbearance

Help for renters

Need help with the basics?

Learn how to read your monthly mortgage statement or understand key mortgage terms, like mortgage forbearance.

Get started with key terms and mortgage basics

Housing Counselors

U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD)-approved housing counselors can discuss options with you if you’re having trouble paying your mortgage, managing your reverse mortgage, or paying your rent.

Find a housing counselor

Help for renters

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) issued an order to stop certain evictions until January 31, 2021. Some states and localities have also temporarily stopped evictions.

You may have other protections if your rent is federally subsidized, or your landlord is getting forbearance help with a mortgage backed by FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie Mae, or Freddie Mac.

Learn what this means for you

Mortgage relief options

Learn about mortgage relief options and protections

Find out which options you may qualify for

Avoiding scams and bad actors

Beware of coronavirus-related scams

See more information on scams related to the coronavirus

Learn what steps you can take if you believe you’ve been a victim of a foreclosure scam

Submit a complaint

If you have a problem with a consumer financial product or service, you can try reaching out to the company first. Companies can usually answer questions unique to your situation and more specific to the products and services they offer. We can also help you connect with the company if you have a complaint. You can submit to the CFPB online or by calling (855) 411-2372.

For homeowners: Start a complaint

For renters: See more about filing a complaint about discrimination or against a landlord

Housing discrimination

Two federal laws prohibit housing discrimination. The protections they offer differ somewhat depending on whether you own or rent your home.

If you own your home, lenders and servicers may not discriminate against you for mortgage servicing practices – such as forbearance and loan modifications – based on your race, color, religion, national origin, sex, marital status, age, family status, disability, whether you are receiving money from a public assistance program, or whether you are exercising your rights under certain consumer protection laws. If you believe a lender or mortgage servicer has discriminated against you, you generally can submit a complaint with the CFPB or file a fair housing complaint with HUD . More information on fair lending and protections against discrimination can be found on the CFPB’s and HUD’s websites.

If you are renting a home or apartment, your landlord is prohibited from changing or setting different terms and conditions for your rental – or from terminating your tenancy – based on your race, color, national origin, religion, sex, family status, or disability. If you believe your rights have been violated you can file a fair housing complaint with HUD .

Federal Coronavirus Resources

White House Coronavirus Task Force

Information about COVID-19 from the White House Coronavirus Task Force in conjunction with CDC, HHS, and other agency stakeholders.


Information on what the U.S. Government is doing in response to COVID-19.
Visit (English)
Visit (Spanish)

Page last modified: November 2, 2020