Skip to main content

Mortgage and housing assistance during the coronavirus national emergency

If you're concerned about how to pay your mortgage or rent due to the coronavirus national emergency, read on for information on what to do now, and what your options are for mortgage and rent payment relief.

Español | 繁體中文 | 简体中文 | Tiếng Việt | 한국어 | Tagalog

The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB), Federal Housing Finance Agency (FHFA) , and U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) are working together to help homeowners and renters during the coronavirus pandemic.

Learn more about:

Need help with the basics?

Learn how to read your monthly mortgage statement or understand key mortgage terms, like mortgage forbearance.

Get started with key terms and mortgage basics

Mortgage relief options: steps to get relief

Learn about your options and which ones you may qualify for

A federal law passed on March 27, 2020, the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act, puts in place protections for homeowners with mortgages that are federally or Government Sponsored Enterprise (GSE) backed or funded (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie Mae,Freddie Mac).

Learn about mortgage relief options and protections

Find out which options you may qualify for

See how to request forbearance or mortgage relief

You are entitled to mortgage forbearance if you have a federally or GSE-backed mortgage and you are experiencing financial hardship due, directly or indirectly, to the coronavirus national emergency. When requesting mortgage relief, be prepared with the following information and questions you want to ask.

Request forbearance or mortgage relief

What to do once you’ve received mortgage relief

While you’re in a special coronavirus forbearance period, or working under another mortgage relief option, there are a number of things to do to continue to protect yourself.

Review what you should do after receiving mortgage relief

Protections for renters

If you are a tenant living in federally subsidized housing or are renting from an owner who has a federally or GSE-backed mortgage (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac), the CARES Act may provide for a suspension or moratorium on evictions.

Learn what this means for you

Avoiding scams and bad actors

Submit a complaint

Are you having trouble with a financial product or service? Try reaching out to the company first. If you've already tried reaching out to the company and still have an issue, you can submit a complaint. Tell us about your issue—we'll forward it to the company and work to get you a response, generally within 15 days.

For homeowners: Start a complaint

For renters: See more about filing a complaint about discrimination or against a landlord

Housing discrimination

Federal law prohibits housing discrimination based on your race, color, national origin, religion, sex, family status, or disability. If you have been trying to buy or rent a home or apartment and you believe your rights have been violated, you can file a fair housing complaint with HUD.

Federal Coronavirus Resources

White House Coronavirus Task Force

Information about COVID-19 from the White House Coronavirus Task Force in conjunction with CDC, HHS, and other agency stakeholders.


Information on what the U.S. Government is doing in response to COVID-19.
Visit (English)
Visit (Spanish)

Page last modified: July 24, 2020