Skip to main content

What should I do if I get a tax bill from the city or county saying that my mortgage servicer did not pay my taxes?

Send a notice of error to your servicer and contact your tax authority and insurance carrier as soon as possible.

If your mortgage servicer did not pay your taxes, you should send a copy of the bill along with a notice of error, which is a letter disputing the error, to your mortgage servicer.

Meanwhile, if the servicer has failed to make timely tax and insurance payments from your escrow account on your behalf, you should contact your tax authority or insurance carrier as soon as possible. If you don’t or your servicer doesn’t pay the property taxes, a tax lien may be put on your property.

If you have an escrow account and your mortgage servicer fails to pay your property taxes, you may want to consult an attorney or a housing counselor. 

You can use the CFPB's "Find a Counselor" tool to get a list of housing counseling agencies in your area that are approved by the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). You can also call the HOPE™ Hotline, open 24 hours a day, seven days a week, at (888) 995-HOPE (4673).

If you are facing imminent foreclosure or have been served with legal papers, you may also need to consult an attorney.   

If you have a problem with your mortgage, you can submit a complaint with the CFPB online or by calling (855) 411-CFPB (2372).