WASHINGTON, D.C. — Today the Bureau of Consumer Financial Protection (Bureau) announced the appointment of new experts from outside the federal government to the Consumer Advisory Board, Community Bank Advisory Council, and Credit Union Advisory Council. The three advisory committees provide advice to Bureau leadership on a broad range of consumer financial issues and emerging market trends.
"Today, I am appointing experts to the Bureau’s advisory committees who will bring a fresh perspective to our important work," said Bureau Acting Director Mick Mulvaney. "These experts are highly talented individuals in consumer finance markets, and we look forward to working closely with them throughout their service."
The Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act charges the Bureau with establishing a Consumer Advisory Board to advise and consult with the Bureau’s Director on a variety of consumer financial issues. The Bureau also created a Community Bank Advisory Council and a Credit Union Advisory Council. The Community Bank Advisory Council and Credit Union Advisory Council advise and consult with the Bureau on consumer financial issues related to community banks and credit unions. In March 2018, the Bureau issued a notice in the outlining the responsibilities of the advisory committees, as well as the duties of its members, and solicited applications for appointment.
The newly appointed members include experts in consumer protection, financial services, FinTech, community development, fair lending, civil rights, and consumer financial products and services as well as representatives of community banks and credit unions. Advisory committee membership reflects the expertise across the range of issues under the Bureau’s jurisdiction. New members to the Consumer Advisory Board, Community Bank Advisory Council, and Credit Union Advisory Council will serve a one-year term.
Consumer Advisory Board Members
- Liz Coyle, Executive Director, Georgia Watch
- Sameh Elamawy, Chief Executive Officer, Scratch Services, Inc.
- Manning Field, Chief Operating Officer, Acorns
- Jason B. Gross, Chief Executive Officer, Petal
- Clinton B. Gwin, President and CEO, Pathway Lending
- Ronald A. Johnson, President, Clark Atlanta University
- Brent Neiser, Senior Director of Strategic Programs and Alliances, National Endowment for Financial Education
- Sophie Raseman, Director of Product, Brightside
- Luz Urrutia, Chief Executive Officer, Opportunity Fund
Community Bank Advisory Council Members
- John Erik Beguin, Founder, CEO, and President, Austin Capital Bank
- Bryan Bruns, President & CEO, Lake Central Bank
- Maureen Busch, Vice President, Compliance and CRA Officer, The Bank of Tampa
- Michael H. Head, President/CEO/Director, First Federal Savings Bank
- Aubery L. Hulings, Vice President, Operations Manager, The Farmers National Bank of Emlenton
- Heidi Sexton, EVP/Chief Operating Officer, Sound Community Bank
- Jeanni Stahl, SVP/Chief Risk and Compliance Officer, MetaBank
Credit Union Advisory Council Members
- Arlene Babwah, Vice President Risk Management, Coastal Federal Credit Union
- Sean Cahill, President & CEO, Southwest 66 Credit Union
- Teresa Campbell, President & CEO, San Diego County Credit Union
- Christopher Court, Vice President, Accounting & Operations, Service 1st Federal Credit Union
- James Hunsanger, Chief Risk Officer, Michigan State University Federal Credit Union
- Bryan Price, President & CEO, Indiana University Credit Union
- Eric Schmidt, President & CEO, WestStar Credit Union
More information on the Bureau’s advisory committees can be found here: https://www.consumerfinance.gov/advisory-groups/
The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) is a 21st century agency that helps consumer finance markets work by making rules more effective, by consistently and fairly enforcing those rules, and by empowering consumers to take more control over their economic lives. For more information, visit www.consumerfinance.gov.