Join the CFPB as a technologist
Do you want an opportunity to improve the lives of millions of Americans? Use your technical expertise to help detect and prevent unfair, deceptive, and abusive practices in financial markets.
We’re looking for experts in data science, machine-learning, artificial intelligence (AI), product design, product management, user experience (UX), and web application development who are passionate about using their skills to ensure consumer financial services are fair, transparent, and competitive to join our CFPB Technologist program. Our technologists help conduct investigations, advocate for consumer needs and ensure the federal government can keep pace with the private sector.
We are committed to building a team that reflects the communities we serve and strongly encourage people of color, LGBTQ+ individuals, women, minorities, people with disabilities, system-impacted people, veterans, and people of all ages to apply.
We need your help to hold companies accountable.
About the CFPB Technologist Program
If selected, technologists will be appointed to two-year term appointments with the opportunity to extend up to a total of four years.
You can work from home anywhere in the United States, or at CFPB headquarters in Washington, D.C.
At the CFPB, you will be working on consumer financial protection projects that are relevant to your specific area of expertise. Possible projects could include:
- Working on small, cross-functional teams with enforcement attorneys and economists to perform technical investigative research for projects that affect millions of consumers.
- Analyzing computational models implemented by financial institutions that inform what products consumers are eligible and reinforce discriminatory biases.
- Researching how Big Tech firms harvest and monetize data they collect from consumer transactions.
- Anticipating risks and acting fast to support consumers when Big Tech systems fail.
What we're looking for
We want people who are excited about building technology and embrace the CFPB's mission. We want people who can thrive in an ambiguous environment, who love working with their colleagues to sort out hard as well as soft problems, and who are eager to help government keep pace with the private sector.
The CFPB Technologist Program is looking for skilled technologists with experience in any of the following areas:
- Data Science & Strategy: Examine large datasets using scripting languages or modern statistical analyses and computational languages (e.g. Python, R, SQL) to investigate allegations that financial institutions have broken the law. Use artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning technologies, logistic and linear regression models, or natural language processing (NLP) to detect, anticipate and prevent potential consumer harm or anticompetitive conduct.
- Software Engineering: Design, create, and test systems to dig into investigations. Use front-end, back-end, and full-stack engineering to develop and support new technical strategies that could help effectively protect consumers. This could include API design and development, furthering open-source policies, while prioritizing maintainability and software reusability in all product development. Programming languages, e.g., Python, SQL, R, Java, JS, Go, Scala, C, C++, Julia, or MatLab.
- Product Management: Coordinate across stakeholders and use agile or lean approaches to align cross-functional teams around a common vision or strategy and user needs. Monitor markets and develop environmental analyses. Use expertise to advance the use of emerging technologies within government.
- Design & UX: Use expertise to help the CFPB understand how certain UX techniques can be harmful to consumers. Apply human-centered design techniques to policy findings and advocate for consumer needs. Understand and summarize economic, social, and financial product research on issues affecting financial decision-making and the impact those findings may have on cross-Bureau policymaking and investigative efforts.
Use your data science, machine-learning, artificial intelligence (AI), product design, product management, user experience (UX), and web application development expertise to drive the investigative efforts on projects that affect millions of consumers.
Technologists will work alongside attorneys and economists to properly supervise financial institutions using a wide range of technical or design methods to inform investigations or litigated matters. Technologists will support the cross-pollination of key ideas in emerging technology fields to ensure the federal government can keep pace with the private sector.
Applications will open July 6th for the following positions. Openings will be listed on this page when they are available.
- CN-53 Technologists – you will work on small, cross-functional agile teams with enforcement attorneys and economists to perform technical investigative research, dig into available data, and think strategically about opportunities for the CFPB to prevent consumer harm.
- CN-60 Program Technologists – you will support the work of small, cross-functional teams and partner with policy experts to lead complex, cross-Bureau investigative efforts into banks and Big Tech.
- CN-71 Senior Technologists – you will serve as a technical expert and strategic advisor to further the Bureau’s investigative and policymaking goals. You’ll guide the CFPB through organizational change, support our investigative experts in identifying potential risks to consumers, and monitor new entrants in financial markets.
What to expect when applying
Please review the postings carefully and apply to any position of interest. You are encouraged to apply to multiple positions if you feel you qualify.
All applicants will be required to submit a resume for review by subject matter experts. Following the review of resumes there will be a job-related assessment to narrow the list of qualified candidates. These assessments will be described in further detail in each vacancy announcement.
If this is your first time applying for a federal job, CFPB has resources to help you navigate the process. Learn more about working through the federal hiring process.
Job application process
The application can be tricky. We can help.
Working at the CFPB
Help us continue to grow and develop our 21st century agency. The work you do will directly impact the lives of consumers.
Follow us on LinkedIn
The CFPB is one of the most searched for agencies in the federal government. Connect with us to stay updated on the work we do and new opportunities.
Technology at the CFPB
CFPB Technologists use open source, human-centered solutions to safeguard everyday financial stability and protect consumers. Help us protect consumers from harmful conduct that reinforces unfair and discriminatory practices.