What happens to my federal student loans if I die or become disabled?

Federal student loans do not transfer to another person if you die. Your relatives can notify the loan servicer, and the loans will be canceled.

In the case of total and permanent disability of the student borrower, federal student loans can often be discharged. There is a special process to make this disability determination. The U.S. Department of Education has established a special website with further details.


Read full answer Hide full answer