Skip to main content

Where can a member of the military or a spouse/dependent of a servicemember go for emergency funding or financial assistance?

Military Aid Societies (Army Emergency Relief, Navy-Marine Corps Relief Society, the Air Force Aid Society, and Coast Guard Mutual Assistance) provide grants and no-interest loans to certain servicemembers in need of essentials such as rent, food, utilities, and vehicle repair and replacement.

There are many resources to help you and your family during times of financial distress. For more information, please contact your relief society: 

The American Red Cross also partners with Military Aid Societies to provide quality, reliable financial assistance to eligible applicants. If there is no Military Aid Society office located on your installation or in your area, please contact the Red Cross’ Armed Forces Call Center at (877) 272-7337, or contact your local Red Cross chapter. 

Some banks and credit unions now offer small, low-interest loans for servicemembers and their families if they are caught in a financial bind. These institutions have established programs and products designed to help you resolve your financial crisis, rebuild your credit rating, and establish savings. For more information, please contact your local bank and/or credit union. 

You should also meet with your installation’s Personal Financial Manager (PFM) to discuss how much you can afford to pay for a vehicle based on your budget.  You can find your closest PFM on the Military Installations website .  Our Auto Loan Resources page can help you find more information and answers on how best to budget and shop for an auto loan.