Skip to main content

What role does my school play in obtaining student loans?

Your school’s financial aid office is involved in the allocation and disbursement of financial aid.

In order to receive federal grant aid or borrow federal student loans, you (or your family) must fill out a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Your school’s financial aid office will receive your FAFSA information from the U.S. Department of Education, and then they will tell you about your awards and other options. This is generally referred to as your “financial aid offer package.” Your package may include grants and scholarships, work-study, and loans. Your financial aid office will certify your student loan application and disburse your loan funds to your account. You should always seek out grants, scholarships, and other money you don’t have to pay back before turning to loans.

Additionally, the financial aid office can consult on private student loans or other payment options. You may also consult a local credit union or bank to discuss private student loan options.