Investigating payroll tax and federal income tax withholding
Students analyze W-4 forms and paystubs in order to better understand payroll taxes and federal income tax withholding.
Payroll and income taxes are withheld from employees’ pay by their employers, and Form W-4 is used to determine how much income tax is withheld.
- How can you calculate how much money will be withheld for taxes from your paycheck?
- What’s the purpose of the Form W-4?
- Identify what types of taxes are deducted from a paycheck
- Complete a Form W-4 and claim federal income tax withholding allowances
What students will do
- Read a handout on taxes.
- Apply their understanding to interpreting sample Form W-4s and pay stubs.
Note: Please remember to consider your students’ accommodations and special needs to ensure that all students are able to participate in a meaningful way.