What the CFPB is doing
The CFPB’s Office of Servicemember Affairs (OSA) is a leader in the innovative use of research and data to better understand—and solve—challenges that servicemembers, veterans, and their families face in today’s consumer financial marketplace.
Monitoring servicemember complaints
We’ve analyzed tens of thousands of complaints from servicemembers, veterans, and military family members to ensure we’re matching our efforts with their priorities.
Strengthening the Military Lending Act (MLA)
The Military Lending Act (MLA) was enacted in 2006 to protect servicemembers from loans with annual rates over 36 percent. In 2015, we helped the Department of Defense as it expanded the coverage of its MLA regulations.
- CFPB Asks Congress for Clear Authority to Supervise for Compliance with the Military Lending Act (January 2019)
- (April 2018)
- Military Lending Act (MLA) examination procedures (September 2016)
- (November 2015)
- (July 2015)
- Report: How MLA loopholes hurt servicemembers (July 2015)
- CFPB statement on proposed amendments to strengthen the MLA (September 2014)
- Guide to protecting servicemembers in the payday lending market (September 2013)
Making student loans more affordable
Servicemembers have special options that could save them money and make it easier to pay off their student loans. We’ve worked closely with the Department of Education to ensure servicemembers get their student loan benefits.
Assisting military homeowners
The CFPB helps struggling military homeowners in many ways.
- Quarterly Consumer Credit Trends: Mortgages to First-time Homebuying Servicemembers (March 2019)
- CFPB and VA WARNO: VA refinancing offers that sound too good to be true (November 2017)
- (November 2016)
- concerning military homeowners with permanent change of station (PCS) orders (from the CFPB, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System, Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation, National Credit Union Administration, and Office of the Comptroller of the Currency). (June 2012)
Protecting servicemembers from military allotments abuses
We worked with DOD to protect servicemembers from abuses related to the military’s discretionary allotment system.