Researching the gig economy
Students conduct research about the gig economy, identify benefits and drawbacks to gig work, and reflect on whether gig work would be right for them.
Our hobbies or skills can sometimes lead to work in the gig economy, and it’s important to understand the benefits and drawbacks of this type of work.
- What are some benefits and drawbacks of working in the gig economy?
- What hobbies or skills do you have that could earn money?
- Explore the benefits and drawbacks of working in the gig economy
- Identify hobbies or skills that could become a gig
What students will do
- Use the U.S. Labor Department’s Bureau of Labor Statistics website to research the benefits and drawbacks of the gig economy.
- Read two short scenarios about people considering gig work and answer related questions.
- Reflect on whether a gig might be right for them.
Note: Please remember to consider your students’ accommodations and special needs to ensure that all students are able to participate in a meaningful way.