Skip to main content

About us

We're the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB), a U.S. government agency that makes sure banks, lenders, and other financial companies treat you fairly.

Learn how the CFPB can help you

What should I do if my payment does not show on my credit card statement?


You should let your credit card company know if your payment does not show on your statement. You can call the card company to try and resolve the issue quickly. However, in order to protect your rights you must send a written billing error notice

 to the card issuer. You should send the written notice within 60 days of receiving the statement that should have reflected the payment.

You should follow the instructions on your statement for reporting a billing error. Note that the address to which you should send this notice is generally different from the payment address. You will be using the address to report a billing error.

Once you have given notice, you do not have to pay the amount in dispute, or any interest or other charges related to the disputed amount, while the dispute is pending. You also cannot lose any grace period that applies to purchases because you do not pay the disputed amount while the dispute is pending. While the dispute is pending, you should still repay the undisputed amount in accordance with the account agreement. Call your card company if you have questions about your required payments while you have a disputed charge.

If the card company determines that you are correct, the payment must be credited to your bill. If the card company determines that you are incorrect and the bill is correct, the card company must notify you of the reasons for its decision and let you know how much you owe and when your payment is due.

Was this page helpful to you?

Please do not share any personally identifiable information (PII), including, but not limited to: your name, address, phone number, email address, Social Security number, account information, or any other information of a sensitive nature.

The content on this page provides general consumer information. It is not legal advice or regulatory guidance. The CFPB updates this information periodically. This information may include links or references to third-party resources or content. We do not endorse the third-party or guarantee the accuracy of this third-party information. There may be other resources that also serve your needs.