Skip to main content

What happens if I still owe money on the vehicle I want to trade-in?

If you still have a loan for the vehicle you plan to trade in, there are steps you should take to carefully consider whether to take on new debt for another vehicle before you have paid off your old vehicle.

These are the steps you should take:

  • Find out how much you still owe on your current vehicle. Get the “payoff amount” from your current lender. This is the amount it will take to pay off your existing loan, and it may be different from any outstanding balance listed on your statement or coupon book. This difference may be because of a prepayment penalty or the way interest is calculated;
  • Research your trade-in’s value, so you will know if the amount you still owe on your trade-in is less than it is worth, make sure during any negotiations that you consider whether you are getting fair value for your trade-in and you are able to fully pay off the old auto loan.
  • Decide if you are going to pay off your existing loan now, wait until you pay off your old auto loan before you borrow for another vehicle, or include the amount that you still owe on your current vehicle in your new auto loan;
  • If you owe more on your current vehicle than it is worth and you roll the balance of your existing auto loan into your new auto loan, this could make the new auto loan much more expensive. Your total loan cost will be higher because you will be borrowing more than just the price of your new vehicle.

If you decide to roll the balance of your existing auto loan into your new loan:

  • Find out which department of your current lender to contact in order to confirm that, once you have your new loan, your old loan has been paid off.
  • After about a week, use the contact information to find out if your old loan has been paid off.
  • If your loan has not been paid off, contact the lender. If, after reasonable efforts, your loan has still not been paid off, you may want to consider submitting a complaint to the Federal Trade Commission , or with the CFPB online or by calling us toll-free at (855) 411-CFPB (2372). You can also tell us about your experience without submitting a formal complaint. You can also contact your state attorney general .

Was this answer helpful to you?

Please do not share any personally identifiable information (PII), including, but not limited to: your name, address, phone number, email address, Social Security number, account information, or any other information of a sensitive nature.