Skip to main content

My spouse was killed on active duty service in combat and I am considering moving to be closer to my family. Will I be eligible for a VA loan if I buy a home in my hometown?

Yes, as a surviving spouse you may qualify for a VA-guaranteed loan. To get more information about your eligibility, go to the VA’s home loan website . In addition, if you currently own a home that you will need to sell to move closer to your hometown, you may be eligible for the Department of Defense’s Homeowners Assistance Program (HAP ). For more general questions regarding survivor benefits, visit the VA’s website .

Still have questions about your mortgage?

We can help you understand how to read your mortgage statement, where to get help if you are struggling to pay your mortgage, and more.

Explore our resources on Mortgages