Skip to main content

I wrote a check and the person I gave it to increased the amount of the check before cashing it. The bank/credit union paid the higher amount rather than the amount I had written. What can I do?

Contact your bank or credit union as quickly as you can. If your bank or credit union cashed the check, you may be able to have the difference restored to your account.

You are still responsible for the original amount of the check.

If the check was processed as an electronic transfer, you have additional protections under federal law.

If the check was not processed as an electronic transfer, you still may have protections under state law.

Was this answer helpful to you?

Please do not share any personally identifiable information (PII), including, but not limited to: your name, address, phone number, email address, Social Security number, account information, or any other information of a sensitive nature.