Skip to main content

I sent money to the wrong account number. What can I do?

If you sent money to the wrong account number, contact the company that sent the money transfer immediately.

Ask for the transfer to be stopped or reversed. The company may be able to retrieve the funds. If you have sent money internationally, in some cases, the company will be required to offer you a refund. But the provider may not be required to return your money if it cannot be retrieved.

If you believe the provider did not act properly, you can contact the company directly. If you are not satisfied with the company’s response, you can also submit a complaint to the CFPB online or by calling (855) 411-CFPB (2372).