Skip to main content

I deposited a check and waited until I was able to withdraw the money from the bank. I later found out that the check was fraudulent. The bank/credit union took the money back, and now my account is overdrawn. Can they charge me an overdraft fee?

Yes. The bank or credit union can take the money back if the check you deposited was fraudulent, even if it made the money available to you and you withdrew the funds.

If taking the money back makes your account overdrawn, you should contact your bank or credit union to learn about how to fix the situation.

Was this answer helpful to you?

Please do not share any personally identifiable information (PII), including, but not limited to: your name, address, phone number, email address, Social Security number, account information, or any other information of a sensitive nature.