Skip to main content

I am at least two payments behind on my mortgage payments. I tried to pay one month's worth of what I owe, but my servicer said I have to pay the whole amount. Can the servicer do this?

If you are in default, and the servicer has notified you that the entire balance is due (in other words, the loan has been “accelerated”), your lender generally can require you to pay the full past due amount to make the loan current. 

If your servicer will not accept a payment, call the CFPB at (855) 411-CFPB (2372) to be connected to a U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD)-approved housing counselor today or to submit a complaint with us. 

If you are facing imminent foreclosure or have been served with legal papers, you may also need to consult an attorney. If you need help finding an attorney, you can view this list of legal aid services in your state, or you can find lawyer referrals in your county and state by visiting the American Bar Association website .

You can submit a complaint online or by calling the CFPB at (855) 411-CFPB (2372).