Skip to main content

About us

We're the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB), a U.S. government agency that makes sure banks, lenders, and other financial companies treat you fairly.

Learn how the CFPB can help you

How do I get a copy of the report banks use to decide whether to let me open a checking account?


To get a copy of your checking account report, you have to request your report from the checking account reporting company that compiled your report. 

Some banks and credit unions use checking account reports to help decide whether to offer consumers a checking account. Checking account reporting companies compile these reports using information from other banks and credit unions about consumers’ checking account and transaction history.

These companies include Chex Systems, Early Warning Services, Certegy, and Telecheck. The contact information for these companies is below. See a more complete list of consumer reporting companies .

In many instances, you will be able to request a free copy of your report:

• By law, you have the right to request a free copy of your checking account report every 12 months from the nationwide checking account reporting companies. You have to request the reports individually from each company.

• You also have the right to request a copy of your report from other checking account reporting companies, although some may charge you a fee.

• You are also entitled to a free copy if you have received an “adverse action” notice. For example, if a bank or credit union turns you down for a checking account based on a report, the bank has to give you a notice that includes the name and contact information of the checking account reporting company that provided the report. You can contact the reporting company and request a free copy of the report.

See our consumer guide to selecting a lower risk account
See our consumer guide to managing your checking account
See our consumer guide to checking account denials

You might also consider getting a prepaid card.

Review your consumer report carefully and make sure the information is accurate. Your report should indicate which bank, credit union, or company provided the information in your report. If you find any errors or inaccurate information, you have the right to dispute that information. Get more information about how to dispute information in your checking account report.

You can use the contact information, below, to request a free copy of your own report from the largest checking account reporting companies. Not every company has information on everyone.

Request your report online
Or call (800) 428-9623

Send a written request to:
Chex Systems, Inc.
7805 Hudson Road, Suite 100
Woodbury, MN 55125

Early Warning System
Request your report online
Or call Consumer Services: (800) 325-7775
Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. (MT)
Early Warning's Consumer Services provides interpretation services for more than 160 languages.

Request your report online
Or call (800) 366-2425

or write:

TeleCheck Services, Inc. Attention: Consumer Resolution – FA P.O. Box 4514 Houston, TX 77210-4515

Request your report online
Or call (866) 543-6315

or write:

Certegy Check Services, Inc. P.O. Box 30296 Tampa, FL 33630-3296

Get Help

  • Submit a complaint

    We’ll forward your issue to the company, give you a tracking number, and keep you updated on the status of your complaint.

Was this page helpful to you?

Note: Do not include sensitive information like your name, contact information, account number, or social security number in this field.

The content on this page provides general consumer information. It is not legal advice or regulatory guidance. The CFPB updates this information periodically. This information may include links or references to third-party resources or content. We do not endorse the third-party or guarantee the accuracy of this third-party information. There may be other resources that also serve your needs.