Skip to main content

How do I certify that I work for a qualified employer in order to qualify for Public Service Loan Forgiveness?

If you believe you work for a qualifying employer, you will need to fill out and submit a PSLF form to certify that your employment qualifies for PSLF and keep track of your eligible employment and qualifying payments.

Qualifying employers include U.S. federal, state, local, or tribal government agencies, including the Peace Corps or AmeriCorps, military service, public elementary and secondary schools, public colleges and universities, public child and family service agencies, and special governmental districts. Working for certain not-for-profit organizations also makes you eligible for PSLF. Additionally, a not-for-profit that is not qualified under section 501(c)(3) of the IRS code is considered a qualifying employer if it devotes a majority of its full-time equivalent employees to working in certain areas . Learn more about which employers qualify for PSLF from the Department of Education’s PSLF Help Tool page.

The PSLF Help Tool allows you to submit your PSLF form electronically. The built-in Employer Database allows you to determine if your employer qualifies for PSLF and prepopulates employer information from the database. You can send the form through the website to your employer for employment verification. Once completed you can digitally sign and submit the application electronically to your servicer.

Alternatively you can download a blank application (a manual PSLF form) directly from the U.S. Department of Education for you and your employer to fill out. Learn the process for submitting the PSLF form at the PSLF Help Tool Page .