Skip to main content

Am I required to purchase an extended warranty or Guaranteed Auto Protection (GAP) insurance from a lender or dealer to get an auto loan?

It is highly unusual for a lender or dealer to require an extended warranty or GAP insurance.

If your lender or dealer says you are required to purchase a product like GAP insurance or an extended warranty, ask them to show you where your sales contract says it is required. If the contract does not explicitly state that it’s required, you cannot be required  to purchase it.