Skip to main content

Mortgage help

First things first: There is free foreclosure help. If anyone tries to charge you in advance for help or guarantees that they can stop your foreclosure, they’re not legitimate.

If you’re behind on your mortgage, or having a hard time making payments, we want to get you in touch with a HUD-approved housing counselor—they’ve been sponsored by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development. Your counselor can develop a tailored plan of action for your situation and help you work with your mortgage company. They’re experienced in all of the available programs and a variety of financial situations. They can help you organize your finances, understand your mortgage options, and find a solution that works for you.

Find a counselor

Search housing counselors

Get a list of HUD-approved counseling agencies in your area.

Call HUD

Call HUD, enter your ZIP code and they’ll refer you to a counselor near you.

(800) 569-4287

State housing agencies

Housing finance agencies listed by state.