Rules governing loan origination practices
Resources to help industry understand, implement, and comply with the loan originator rule.
On November 15 , 2019, the Bureau updated the small entity compliance guide to reference the guidance in the interpretive rule on Regulation Z Screening and Training Requirements for Mortgage Loan Originators with Temporary Authority.
Browse the loan originator final rules to see specific amendments made by each final rule to Regulation Z.
Regulations and official interpretations
Browse Regulation Z (12 CFR 1026) on: Interactive Bureau Regulations | eCFR
Main loan originator rule provisions and official interpretations can be found in:
- § 1026.36(a) Definitions, including “compensation” and “loan originator”
- § 1026.36(d) Prohibition on payment based on terms of the transaction
- § 1026.36(d) Prohibition on dual compensation
- § 1026.36(e) Prohibition on steering
- § 1026.36(f) Loan originator qualification requirements
- § 1026.36(g) Loan originator identification
- § 1026.36(h) Prohibition on mandatory arbitration clauses and waivers of certain consumer rights
- § 1026.36(i) Prohibition on financing credit insurance
- § 1026.36(j) Policies and procedures to ensure and monitor compliance
Sign up for updates about mortgage rule implementation.
Small entity compliance guide
Download the latest version , version 4.0
Supervision and examination materials
Guides to how the Bureau will supervise and examine entities under its jurisdiction for compliance with Federal consumer financial law.
See the CFPB mortgage origination examination procedures
See the mortgage rules readiness guide , version 4.0
CFPB Bulletin 2012-02: The payment of compensation to loan originators
CFPB Bulletin 2012-05: SAFE Act and transitional licensing of mortgage loan originators