Skip to main content

Why do I have to pay the bank/credit union back if a check I deposited turns out to be fraudulent?

Your bank or credit union is entitled to recover funds that were fraudulently transferred and to take steps to reverse a fraudulent transaction.

If your bank or credit union credited your account fraudulently, the bank or credit union can remove the funds from your account. If you believe you have been targeted by a scam, you should file a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission .

Was this answer helpful to you?

Please do not share any personally identifiable information (PII), including, but not limited to: your name, address, phone number, email address, Social Security number, account information, or any other information of a sensitive nature.