Skip to main content

About us

We're the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB), a U.S. government agency that makes sure banks, lenders, and other financial companies treat you fairly.

Learn how the CFPB can help you

I want to use my bank or credit union to transfer money to someone in another country. Does the new federal law about international money transfers apply?

When transferring money to another country, new federal laws may apply depending on whether or not your bank or credit union qualifies as a remittance transfer provider and whether your transfer qualifies as a remittance transfer under federal law.

You can still transfer money internationally if your financial institution doesn’t qualify as a remittance transfer provider, but you may not receive the same rights and protections under federal law, including:

  • Up-front information about certain fees and taxes and the exchange rate.
  • A receipt that shows how much was sent and when the money would be available.
  • The ability to cancel your transfer at no charge within a certain period of time.
  • The right to have errors investigated and fixed.
If you have a complaint and you’re not sure where to turn, submit a complaint to the CFPB. We’ll forward your complaint to the company and work to get a response from them. If we find that another government agency would be better able to assist, we will forward your complaint to them and let you know.

Was this page helpful to you?

Please do not share any personally identifiable information (PII), including, but not limited to: your name, address, phone number, email address, Social Security number, account information, or any other information of a sensitive nature.

The content on this page provides general consumer information. It is not legal advice or regulatory guidance. The CFPB updates this information periodically. This information may include links or references to third-party resources or content. We do not endorse the third-party or guarantee the accuracy of this third-party information. There may be other resources that also serve your needs.