Skip to main content

About us

We're the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB), a U.S. government agency that makes sure banks, lenders, and other financial companies treat you fairly.

Learn how the CFPB can help you

Do I have to pay for someone to help me modify my mortgage?


You do not need to pay someone large sums of money to help you modify your mortgage. People who charge a lot of money in advance of any result may be violating the law.

Depending on your financial situation, U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD)-approved housing counselors offer their services at little or no cost to you.

If you have paid someone to modify your mortgage before any results, you may also want to consult an attorney. If you need help finding an attorney, you can view this list of legal aid services in your state, or you can find lawyer referrals in your county and state by visiting the American Bar Association website .

Foreclosure prevention counseling and counseling services for homeless persons are available free of charge through HUD's Housing Counseling Program. Call the CFPB Consumer Hotline at (855) 411-CFPB (2372) to be connected to a HUD-approved housing counselor today or to submit a complaint with us. You can also submit a complaint online.

Was this page helpful to you?

Please do not share any personally identifiable information (PII), including, but not limited to: your name, address, phone number, email address, Social Security number, account information, or any other information of a sensitive nature.

The content on this page provides general consumer information. It is not legal advice or regulatory guidance. The CFPB updates this information periodically. This information may include links or references to third-party resources or content. We do not endorse the third-party or guarantee the accuracy of this third-party information. There may be other resources that also serve your needs.