Please join us for a convening of government agencies discussing dark patterns and how they can be effectively approached in case work. In this session, Simon King, CFPB Senior Technologist and dark patterns expert, will moderate a panel of:
- James Doty, Attorney, Division of Financial Practices, Federal Trade Commission;
- Caroline Sinders, Principal Designer and Founder, Convocation Research + Design; and
- Harry Brignull, Author, Deceptive Patterns: Exposing the Tricks Tech Companies Use to Control You.
The panel will discuss a definition of dark patterns, how they can present themselves within digital products and services, and the best ways of preparing a case around them.
Topics will include:
- How to identify a dark pattern
- Pointers for how to prepare for a case that features a dark pattern
- Open Q&A for attendees
This meeting is virtual, non-public, and only open to government agencies. Please do not forward this invitation. Contact the CFPB’s Office of Intergovernmental Affairs at IGA@cfpb.gov with questions, recommendations of others who should be invited to attend, or if you no longer wish to receive these invites.
If you require a reasonable accommodation in order to attend this event, please contact the Reasonable Accommodations team at CFPB_ReasonableAccommodations@cfpb.gov 72 business hours prior to the start of this event.