Welcome! You’ve probably landed here because you followed the instructions on a form or pamphlet given to you by your bank or other financial institution.
This page also includes reports and information about regulations that may be useful to the financial services industry.
This section of our site provides links to additional information about certain products we regulate, such as credit cards and mortgages. It also provides links to letters and other documents that provide guidance to the industry to assist them in complying with our regulations.
- The Federal Reserve has summarized credit card protections on a site that includes interactive tools for users to learn more about the terms and fees of credit card offers, and about the features of their monthly statements
- The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) maintains information about credit reports and scores
- Information about your rights in cases of identity theft, including the full text of the Fair Credit Reporting Act, is available on the FTC’s website
- View federal rules on credit reporting
The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) maintains a website with information about mortgage servicing and settlement. You might also need to take a look at our booklets:
- If you are getting a mortgage, read Shopping for Your Home Loan: Settlement Cost Booklet
- If you are getting an adjustable rate mortgage, read the Consumer Handbook on Adjustable-Rate Mortgages (CHARM)
- If you are getting a home equity line of credit, read the brochure on What You Should Know about Home Equity Lines of Credit (HELOC)
You can order printed copies from the U.S. Government Printing Office.
For the financial services industry
Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA)
- The FTC has guidance about FDCPA
Home Mortgage Disclosure Act (HMDA)
NOTE: HMDA information is provided by the Federal Reserve Board via the FFIEC under agreements with all the financial regulators.
- The Federal Financial Institution Examinations Council (FFIEC) provides information on HMDA, including:
- Instructions on how to file your submission
- The Average Prime Offer Rates publication
- A rate spread calculator to assist you with reporting rate spread information
- The Federal Reserve Board has information on the 2010 HMDA hearings
Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act (RESPA)
- The Shopping for Your Home Loan: Settlement Cost Booklet (also known as the Special Information Booklet), is updated as of January 10, 2014. A version is available in DOC format and you can order printed copies from the U.S. Government Printing Office.
Secure and Fair Enforcement for Mortgage Licensing Act (SAFE Act)
- Learn more about the SAFE Act on HUD’s website, or visit the SAFE Act page
- The Nationwide Mortgage Licensing System has information to help guide institutions through the registration process
Truth in Lending Act (TILA)
- The Consumer Handbook on Adjustable Rate Mortgages (also known as the CHARM Booklet) is updated as of January 10, 2014. A version is available in DOC format and you can order printed copies from the U.S. Government Printing Office.
- The What You Should Know About Home Equity Lines of Credit (HELOC) brochure is updated as of January 10, 2014. A version is available in DOC format and you can order printed copies from the U.S. Government Printing Office.