You can contact our Office of Regulations to receive informal guidance from a staff attorney about the Bureau’s regulations at (202) 435-7700. Any such informal guidance would not constitute an official interpretation or legal advice.
On this page
Supervision and examination materials
Our Supervision and Examination Manual is a guide to how we will supervise and examine consumer financial service providers under our jurisdiction for compliance with Federal consumer financial law.
Our Readiness Guide provides guidelines for institutions to evaluate their readiness and help them comply with mortgage rule changes made through July 24, 2015.
Depository institutions under CFPB jurisdiction
- March 31, 2015- PDF | Excel
- December 31, 2014- PDF | Excel
- September 30, 2014- PDF | Excel
- June 30, 2014- PDF | Excel
- March 31, 2014- PDF | Excel
- December 31, 2013 –PDF | Excel
- September 30, 2013 –PDF | Excel
- June 30, 2013 – PDF, Excel
- March 31, 2013 – PDF, Excel
- December 31, 2012 – PDF, Excel
- September 30, 2012 – PDF, Excel
- June 30, 2012 – PDF, Excel
- June 30, 2011 – PDF, Excel
Compliance-related information for CFPB-issued rules
Rural or underserved counties
Some businesses with volume in rural or underserved counties that outweighs volume in other counties are exempt from certain regulatory requirements in Ability to Repay and Qualified Mortgage Standards Under the Truth in Lending Act and Escrow Requirements under the Truth in Lending Act, such as creating escrow accounts and not including balloon payment provisions to get “qualified mortgage” status.
These lists include the following U.S. territories as rural areas in their entireties: Guam, the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, American Samoa, and the U.S. Virgin Islands. These territories comprise areas that the U.S. Census Bureau treats as counties and that are neither metropolitan statistical areas or micropolitan statistical areas adjacent to metropolitan statistical areas.
2016 Rural or underserved counties list
2015 Rural counties list
2015 Rural or underserved counties list
Access the final list for use in 2015 in any of these formats: CSV | XLS | PDF
For more, see our blog post about the 2015 rural and underserved exemptions.
2014 Rural counties list
2014 Rural or underserved counties list
Access the final list for use in 2014 in any of these formats: CSV | XLS | PDF
For more, see our blog post about the 2014 rural and underserved exemptions.
2013 Rural or underserved counties list
Access the updated final list for use in 2013 in any of these formats: CSV | XLS | PDF
For more, see our blog post about the 2013 rural or underserved exemptions.
2012 Rural or underserved counties list
Rule implementation support
For information about implementing our rules, see our regulatory implementation page.
More guidance documents
- November 3, 2015 – Revised Supervisory Matters Appeal Process
- October 8, 2015 – Bulletin on RESPA Compliance and Marketing Services Agreements
- August 10, 2015 – Bulletin on Interstate Land Sales Full Disclosure Act amendment
- August 4, 2015 – Bulletin on private mortgage insurance cancellation and termination
- May 11, 2015 – Bulletin on Section 8 housing choice voucher homeownership program
- January 27, 2015 – Bulletin on treatment of confidential supervisory information
- November 18, 2014 – Bulletin on social security disability income verification
- September 3, 2014 – Bulletin on marketing of credit card promotional APR offers
- August 22, 2014 – FFIEC credit practices guidance
- August 19, 2014 – Compliance bulletin and policy guidance regarding mortgage servicing transfers (as published in the Federal Register at 79 Fed. Reg. 63295 (October 23, 2014))
- July 11, 2014 – Guidance regarding brokers shifting to “mini-correspondent” model
- July 8, 2014 – Bulletin clarifying mortgage lending rules to assist surviving family members
- February 27, 2014 – FCRA requirement that furnishers conduct investigations of disputed information
- December 11, 2013 – FFIEC guidance on social media
- November 8, 2013 – Bulletin on Homeownership Counseling list requirements
- October 15, 2013 – Implementation guidance for certain mortgage servicing rules
- October 9, 2013 – Home Mortgage Disclosure Act (HMDA) and Regulation C – Compliance Management; CFPB HMDA Resubmission Schedule and Guidelines; and HMDA Enforcement
- September 24, 2013 – Interagency guidance on privacy laws and reporting financial abuse of older adults
- September 12, 2013 – Bulletin on payroll card accounts (Regulation E)
- September 4, 2013 – Bulletin on the FCRA’s requirement to investigate disputes and review “all relevant” information provided by consumer reporting agencies about the dispute.
- July 10, 2013 – Bulletin on prohibition of unfair, deceptive, or abusive acts or practices in the collection of consumer debts
- July 10, 2013-Bulletin on representations regarding effect of debt payments on credit reports and scores
- June 25, 2013 – Bulletin about responsible business conduct: self-policing, self-reporting, remediation, and cooperation
- April 10, 2013 – Disclosure of consumer complaint data as published in the Federal Register
- May 20, 2013– Bulletin about the SAFE Act – uniform state test for state-licensed mortgage loan originators
- March 21, 2013– Bulletin about indirect auto lending and compliance with the Equal Credit Opportunity Act
- February 11, 2013 – Bulletin about mortgage servicing transfers
- December 6, 2012 – Statement of Intent for sharing information with State banking and financial services regulators
- November 29, 2012 – Bulletin regarding FCRA’s streamlined process requirement for consumers to obtain free annual reports
- November 27, 2012 – Bulletin regarding implementation of the remittance rule (Regulation E, Subpart B)
- October 31, 2012 – Bulletin regarding appeals of supervisory matters [superseded on November 3, 2015]
- July 18, 2012 – Bulletin regarding marketing of credit card add-on products
- June 27, 2012 – Final policy statement on the publication of credit card complaint data, as published in the Federal Register
- June 21, 2012 – Interagency guidance on mortgage servicing practices concerning military homeowners with Permanent Change of Station orders
- May 16, 2012 – Memorandum of Understanding on supervisory coordination among the CFPB, Federal Reserve Board, FDIC, NCUA, and OCC.
- April 19, 2012 – Bulletin regarding transitional licensing of mortgage loan originators under the SAFE Act
- April 18, 2012 – Bulletin regarding lending discrimination
- April 12, 2012 – Bulletin regarding service providers
- April 2, 2012 – Bulletin regarding the payment of compensation to loan originators
- January 4, 2012 – Bulletin regarding the Bureau’s supervision authority and treatment of confidential supervisory information
- December 15, 2011 – Bulletin regarding whistleblower information, and law enforcement tips, and anti-retaliation protections
- November 17, 2011 – Interagency statement for determining asset size of institutions for federal consumer financial law supervisory and enforcement purposes.
- November 7, 2011 – Bulletin regarding notice and opportunity to respond and advise prior to enforcement proceedings
- August 16, 2011 – Bulletin regarding Ex Parte Presentations in Rulemaking Proceedings
- July 21, 2011 – Bulletin regarding the Interstate Land Sales Full Disclosure Act – communications with CFPB (updated December 19)
- June 27, 2011 – Bulletin regarding Amendments to the Alternative Mortgage Transaction Parity Act (AMTPA)
- April 11, 2011 – General Counsel Leonard J. Kennedy letter to financial institutions regarding section 1071 of the Dodd-Frank Act
You may also be looking for guidance or reference materials related to specific regulations.
For public information regarding a petition to modify or set aside a civil investigative demand, see our list of decisions and orders regarding petitions to modify or set aside.
We have issued a statement to advise supervised institutions about regulatory flexibility in working with borrowers affected by Hurricane Sandy. We encourage financial institutions to work with these borrowers.