An official website of the United States Government
Credit cards

There’s a charge on my credit card bill for something I didn’t buy or don't think I should be charged for. What should I do?

You should let your card issuer know about the problem right away. While you can call the card issuer, in order to protect your rights you must also send a written notice to the card issuer. You should follow the instructions on your periodic statement for where and how to send the notice. Note that the address to which you should send this notice is usually different from the payment address.

Once you have given notice, you do not have to pay the amount in dispute while the card issuer is investigating and you cannot be required to pay interest or other charges relating to the disputed amount. If you pay the entire undisputed amount on time, the card issuer cannot treat your payment as late and must assume that you have paid your full balance when determining how much you owe next month.

If the card issuer determines that you are correct, the charge should be removed from your bill. If the card issuer determines that you are incorrect and the bill is correct, the card issuer must notify you of the reasons for its decision and let you know how much you owe and when your payment is due.

Can't find your question? Make a suggestion!

Suggest a question