An official website of the United States Government
Credit reports and scores

What should I look for in my credit report? What are a few of the common credit report errors?

Make sure your credit report contains only items about you. Look for information that is inaccurate or incomplete, such as accounts that do not belong to you, addresses of places where you did not live, names of employers you did not work for, or information that should no longer be on your credit report, such as a bankruptcy that is more than ten years old.

If you find errors, you should contact the credit reporting agency from whom you obtained the report, and the creditor or whoever provided the information (called the “furnisher” of the information). The copy of your credit report will include information about how to dispute inaccurate or incomplete information.

Tip: If you have an issue with your credit report, you can submit a complaint with the CFPB online or by calling (855) 411-CFPB (2372).

Can't find your question? Make a suggestion!

Suggest a question