The Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act requires the Director of the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau and the Secretary of Education to submit a Report on private student loans.This Report addresses the following topics, as set forth in the Act:
- The private lenders, their market and their products, as they have evolved and performed over time,
- The consumers of these products, their characteristics, and shopping, usage and repayment behaviors,
- Consumer protections, including recent changes and possible gaps,
- Fair lending compliance information currently available and its implications, and
- Statutory or legislative recommendations to improve consumer protections.